- Web Desk
- 23 Minutes ago
Trial of civilians in military courts has started, govt informs SC
ISLAMABAD: The federal government has informed Supreme Court (SC) that the trial of civilians allegedly involved in the May 9 incidents has started in military courts.
In an application presented to the Supreme Court, the government stressed on thw need to commence trials to safeguard the rights and interests of individuals undergoing legal proceedings.
Read more: Khadija Shah gets bail in May 9 cases
“To safeguard the interests of the accused persons, it is imperative that their trials are conducted and concluded,” the application said.
A five-member larger bench headed by Justice Ijaz-ul-Ahsan will hear the case tomorrow at 11:30am. It was last heard on August 3.
The government further said that 102 individuals had been apprehended in connection with the incidents that transpired on May 9 and 10, which encompassed assaults on military installations and facilities.
According to the written response, some of the people who have been arrested are accused of attacking the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi, the Corps Commander House in Lahore, and the PAF Base Mianwali, as well as the ISI establishment in Civil Lines Faisalabad and the ISI Sialkot Cantonment office.